Friday, January 11, 2013

Winter Blues

Besides for trout fishing there is really nothing else to fish for locally.  The nearest decent trout fishing for me is 3 plus hours away which makes day trips pretty difficult. The last time I went to the river looking for stripers all I got was a goose egg, I did see 4 bald eagles and that was very cool. I couldn't get close enough to get any good pictures. Its not flyfishing but several years ago I did a couple airboat trips with Steve Barnes Guide Service down on the river chasing blue cats. We caught several 40+lb blues on cut bait and snagged a couple paddle fish. Besides the cold weather the trips were very memorable and I have plans to do a future trip with Steve chasing gar and flatheads.  








2 comments:

  1. Casey
    One needs a workout at the gym once a week to land monsters like that. Is catfish that large any good to eat? Some of the catfish I landed last year on our local lake were in the 4 to 5 lb. range and we dress some for a meal. The few pieces we tried to eat taste like mud and had a fishy taste. We threw all the rest of the fillets away. Congrats on landing those brutes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill we let all these fish go. Steve has a strict policy of CPR of any fish over 10 lbs to insure the future of the fishery.

    The best catfish I have every eaten comes from cooler/rocky streams. Fish that live in muddy warm water have a tendency to not taste near as good.

    ReplyDelete