Saturday, February 16, 2013

Crappie Clousers

Getting my stuff together for the first sandbass trip of the year. I tie up a fly that I'll call a crappie clouser. It is nothing more than a crappie jig head tied with some bucktail and flash. I take a red pen and draw in some gills. I will fish this fly dead drifted under an indicator, especially early in the season when the water is still cold and the fish aren't nearly as active and aggressive. Once the water warms up and the fish are in full spawn mode i will take the indicator off and swing it across the current or strip it in with erratic strips, mimicking an injured baitfish.  For size comparison this is a 1/32 oz jig head and the fly is about 1 3/4" long. Great little fly that is easy to cast on light rods. 


1 comment:

  1. Casey
    An awesome jig pattern--especially with chartruse mixed in with the white. I always fish chartruse for crappie early in the year. You have got a winner here. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete