Thursday, April 18, 2013

Get Jiggy

Here is a fly I just started tying. I got the idea from fishing with Rob Anderson up on Pyramid Lake. I figured I could use this fly/technique on some of my local waters.



Hook : 90 degree jig hook
Tail : Marabou
Body : Pearl Chenille
Wing : Zonker Strips
Head : Fish Skulls

Start off with a 90 degree jig hook. The hook in the vise is a #6 sickle jig hook. It is OK, but I think I am going to try a different hook. I want something a little stronger and sharper. 

Tie in the tail. I used marabou, but this can easily be substituted for: buck tail, flashabou, ostrich herl, or synthetic tying material. 

Next tie in the pearl chenille.

Next take a 2" piece of 40lb mono and tie in. 

Wrap the chenille up the hook shank
and tie off on the mono just past the hook bend.

Take a zonker strip and cut to the correct proportion to the hook and body of the fly. 
You will want to poke a small hole in the strip for the hook eye to go through.
Tie off just pass the hook onto the mono.
Whip finish and slide the fish skull onto the mono.
Use super glue to attach the fish skull.
Cut the mono, leaving about 1/8-1/4".

Use a lighter to melt the mono, creating a ball. 
Before the mono cools down and hardens push it against a flat surface creating a lock that will aid in keeping the fish skull from sliding off.

This is a very simple fly to tie and only takes a few minutes. 
Looking forward to fishing it. 



5 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way to add the Fish Skull. I suppose it won't slip over the bend in the jig hook or make its way up around the hook point?

    I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey
    Outstanding pattern that would take the famous Kentucky Spot---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete