Thursday, November 21, 2013

50 Best Tailwaters

One of the best things about tailwaters is that you can pretty much fish them year round. When most other waters are freezing up in the winter your local tailwater is probably fishing great. Being from Texas all the trout waters within 10 hours of me are tailwaters. Tailwaters are what I learned to trout fish on so when I heard Terry and Wendy Gunn put together a book on the "50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish" I had to get my hands on it. Having already fished a number of the tailwaters listed in this book and personally knowing and fished with several of the fine folks that helped contribute to this book I can tell you the information you will find is spot on. The book can be ordered from StoneFly Press and will make a great gift for the trout fisherman in your life.


3 comments:

  1. Casey
    Can you tell me if the Caney Fork or the Elk river in Tennessee are listed in this book. I have fished both and they are the closet waters I have to trout fish out of the state of Alabama. I would be shocked if the Sipsey Tailrace here in Jasper is listed. We only have one trout species stocked here at this time, we are working on getting the brook, cutthroat, and browns stocked. I guess I should be glad we have trout fishing this close to my house, 20 minutes away. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caney Fork in central TN is included - the other Southern tailwaters include the Chattahoochee (GA), Toccoa (GA), South Holston (TN), Hiwassee (TN), Clinch (TN), Watauga (TN), Cumberland (TN/KY), Little Red (AR), Norfork (AR), White (AR), Lake Taneycomo (MO), Mountain Fork (OK), and the southernmost tailwater, the Guadalupe (TX). The Cumberland is well worth the extra hour or so drive from Caney Fork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robb for answering Bill's question.

    ReplyDelete