Monday, January 9, 2017

Knots; Improved Clinch Knot

Likely the first knot you learned as a fisherman, This is a great knot and still one I use often; likely because I have tied it so many times I could do it with my eyes closed. Generally use this knot with lighter tippet, trout stuff in the 4x, 5x, and 6x and smaller flies. Be careful as I have had this knot slip on me if I use it with light tippet and larger size flies, for example 6x and a size 8 wooly bugger. This is a very fast, effective knot that uses minimal tippet to tie. Since this is a friction knot make sure you lubricate the knot with spit or dunking in the water before tightening it down. While clinching this knot down do so in a slow steady fashion or you risk heating the line up and causing a weaker knot that might cost you a good fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment