Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Spoon Full



Alright, not a true fly caught fish but what do you expect with a filter feeder. So I was running up river through some shallow water and looked down and saw this big dark object that caught my attention. There was a lot of glare on the water so I couldn't completely make out what I was seeing. I got past the sun and realized I was looking at was a paddle fish. It was very calm and just hung out in the same area so I got my camera and circled around and got some decent underwater video of him. Then I was thinking how many opportunities am I going to get at a fish like this. Ya I would have to snag him but is it any different than lining a salmon. Luckily I decided to rig up my nine weight at the last minute before I left the house that morning. I grabbed the rod and waded out to the fish and after a few quick attempts I had him hooked in the bill. He put up a decent fight and after a few quick pics he was back in the water swimming. Not a true fly caught fish but it was a fun experience. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment