Saturday, May 11, 2013

I Lied

So I thought I wasn't going to be able to get out again for the sand bass run. This year has been a late spring and just last week we had record low temperatures for this time of the year. I ended up sneaking out for a few hours during the middle of the day and hit a local creek and caught several sand bass and a couple small hybrids. The shad have left the creek and the sand bass and hybrids are on their way out also. I did see a lot of carp and saw several feeding off the surface. All I brought with me was clousers but next time I am back in this creek I will have an assortment of dry flies to see if I can catch my first carp off the surface. I think it will be a fun creek to fish this summer with all the carp and bluegill in it.

White Bass (Morone chrysops)
The species epithet chrysops is Greek meaning "golden eye."

Even though these little hybrids aren't much bigger than the sand bass, you can tell immediately that its not a sand bass by the bend in your rod. Hybrids area a much stronger fish.   

1 comment:

  1. Sand Bass fishing has been crazy, this year, but I'm glad a few bent your rod tip.

    ReplyDelete